Site Meter

Sunday, November 12, 2006

I am disappointed to read in prisonworks.org that I missed a challenge by John East to anybody to prove that prison doesn't work. Apparently, Alan Drew made a halfhearted attempt at accepting the challenge but then bottled out and joined the otherside. It takes two to tango, so I accept your challenge John East. There is no debate if only one side speaks up. I am reminded of the advice from publishers that authors should only write about what they know about. I don't believe that either John East or Alan Drew know what they are talking about. They take a positivist approach and begin with an assumption, this is followed by so-called argument which is supposed to support the assumption. However, if the critical approach is employed instead, which attacks the assumption, and the assumption falls, so does the so-called argument that follows. I believe that John East and Alan Drew have built a house of cards, and will set out to prove them wrong for using a foundation stone that is not supportive. When an author like Jack Higgins wrote The Eagle Has Landed, he craftily wove fact and fiction together and leaves the reader wondering how much of the yarn is true. It becomes all the more believable if the blend is just right, I suspect that this is what John East and Alan Drew have done. So, it a question of separating the chaff from the wheat. Or, as I call it, getting the shovel out to plough through the bullshit.

No comments: