Site Meter

Thursday, December 14, 2006

This morning, I got up and had a fag whilst I had a shit. Then another fag with my first cup of tea of the day. Then off into Pearson Park to take Rocky for his first walk of the day. My mobile rang, and then went dead before I could answer it. I rang the number that had called me and nobody responded. Continued with the walk, and the mobile rang again. It was Southern Counties Radio informing me that the government had announced that it had started the consultation process on whether prisoners should have the vote. And, would I be prepared to be interviewed. I agreed. There was just time to finish the walk, have another fag, fry a bacon butty and have a coffee and another fag before the interview. Apparently the story is on Ceefax, but because I do not have a TV Licence, I do not watch TV so could not see it there. I think the interview went well, the switchboard lights up like Blackpool illuminations as all the irate listeners want to stone me to death! Then I did the soapbox on Radio Humberside. In the afternoon, Iain Dale emailed me to offer me the opportunity to go on 18doughtystreet.com in the New Year to talk about the prisoners votes case. I emailed him back to say that I would like this. I cannot help but wonder, given that I started all this, why the government has not spoken too me first in its consultation exercise?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prisoners lose their right to vote as soon as they are jailed. They should not even be let out early. That is my opinion.

I am sorry you were put into Barnardos but it was probably a lot better than the shit parents I had - an alcoholic violent dad who left home when I was twelve and a mother who did not give a shit. I was bullied at school and kicked in the head and terrorised. Later there were plenty of people who were ready to take advantage of me.

The difference between you and me is that I don't use it as an excuse, and I didn't kill anybody - I am just angry.

I actually wish you well. I firmly believe that people can change, and you seen to have changed, but lets not pretend that people in prison are angels or that they deserve the priveledges of law abiding citizens.

jailhouselawyer said...

Historically, the Forfeiture Act 1870 prohibited convicted felons from the franchise before the common man on the street was actually given the vote. So, whom was the legislation aimed at in the first place? In any event, Parliament continued to leave this ban in place when it updated legislation without even debating the issue.

When a person is given a prison sentence, the judge does not give, as part of that punishment, the removal of the human right to vote. The only prisoners I am aware of who are let out early are those who are on death's door. It is a common misconception that some prisoners get released early. However, they all get released on time. It is just that how these sentences are calculated with the discounts of parole, which lead to confusion. There are many who feel that a prisoner should serve the actual time which a judge stipulates in open court. However, it is the Executive which reduces this measure for political reasons.

My father was an alcoholic aswell, and left home went I was two. My mother just could not cope, with 4 kids, just after the Second World War, so that's how I found myself in the Homes. I was very vulnerable too in the same ways that you mention.

I don't use it as an excuse. Merely by way of explanation. Believe me, it is the easiest thing in the world to kill somebody. I am glad that you have not gone down that route, because it makes you more courageous to suffer without lashing out.

I am no longer angry. I had to leave anger, bitterness, hate and twisted emotions behind or they would have eaten me up. They were hurting me inside my head and nobody else.

As you say, they are not angels inside. But, when the State treats them as bad as they have treated their victims, its the pot calling the kettle black. The government must lead by good example.