Site Meter

Monday, June 01, 2009

Computer breakdown

Computer breakdown

I don't know if my computer has come out in sympathy with Susan Boyle, but I left it on last night whilst I went to watch a bit of television and when I returned it had packed up. First, I could not switch it off at the tower and could only do so from the mains. The monitor keeps switching itself off, and none of the writing comes up on the screen when it is switched on. I thought it had perhaps just overheated, but it now appears to be more serious.

Meanwhile, I have had to pop into an internet cafe @ £1 per hour!

3 comments:

richard said...

John, I had a similar sounding problem a couple of years back, also put it down to overheating. I took the side off the tower to have a look and the heat dissipator over the processor was chock full of dust. I took the hoover to it and it seemed to recover to some extent once the dust was gone and the air was flowing again.

It eventually packed up for good, but I squeezed about 6 months more life out of it.

jailhouselawyer said...

Richard: I already had the side off after installing a second 512MB memory stick.

Nevertheless, I did vacuum out the tower. It did not appear as though there was much fluff and dust in there.

I just switched it on to see if the fan was working. It was but still no computer.

Then, just as I was about to switch it off again I heard it try kicking itself into life and I saw the green light come on on the monitor.

I don't know what that was all about but I am now up and running again.

CherryPie said...

Well at least it is working again now. I hate it when mine breaks.