Site Meter

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tough on Jobseekers tough on the causes of Jobseekers

Tough on Jobseekers tough on the causes of Jobseekers

Because some bright spark in government came up with a scheme to punish the unemployed who have been out of work for 6 months, I was supposed to attend Hull College for 5 days a week, 9am until 4pm, for 13 weeks.

It appears to me that the reasoning goes like this. Because you are supposed to be out looking for a job all day, therefore your time is not your own and your mind and body will instead be used by the state. It reminds me of prison.

The other week I went to another of these things, and spent the morning just filling in loads of forms all asking for the same information. I got pissed off. When I was asked whether I thought it would all help me back to work I said "no". I was then told I did not need to be there because it is voluntary and that I could go.

The Job Centre said it is not voluntary but compulsory and arranged for me to attend the same kind of thing at another venue.

In my view, like prison, it is a waste of time and waste of money. The only person to gain from all this is some company called Ae4, which employs people to inform us that we are out of work, and the task is to get us back into work.

I have got better things to do with my time. I have my comfort zone. I have to take my dog for his walk. I could not just sit there and suffer it all any longer and had to get back home. The government is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

UPDATE: A4E A Waste of Taxpayers money...

3 comments:

CherryPie said...

Ae4 provide prison education too don't they?

jailhouselawyer said...

Cherrypie: I think I have heard or read that that is the case. It might explain why I was reminded of prison. One size fits all...

Anonymous said...

a4e are big players in prison education, and have just won a big contract for nicks in the south west.