Site Meter

Thursday, April 19, 2007

No honour amongst thieves


I was rather amused to read in last night's Telegraph on line that "David Cameron has ordered a wealthy Tory peer and donor to comply with a three-year old pledge to give up his tax exile status after being appointed to the House of Lords". It reminds me of prison officers trying to enforce compliance by stating "I'm giving you a direct order". According to the Prison Rules, there is no such thing as a direct order. However, it is a prison disciplinary offence to refuse to obey a lawful order. Even if the correct terminology is used, it is often greeted by "Fuck Off". How does David Cameron intend forcing plain Mr Irvine Alan Stewart Laidlaw to comply, by twisting his arm? See how easily I stripped him of his title?

Legally, plain Mr Irvine Alan Stewart Laidlaw can argue that I do not have the authority to strip him of his title. What title? As I understand it, leaving aside his giving cash for the honour to the Tory Party, the terms and conditions were that he gave up his tax exile status and took up residence in the UK if he was ennobled. Given that he has failed to honour the contract, it becomes null and void, therefore he becomes plain old mister again.

As I understand it, plain Mr Irvine Alan Stewart Laidlaw wrote to the toothless Parliamentary honours watchdog with his "excuses" for not becoming UK registered for tax purposes. In any event, it is not in his financial interests to do this. I don't think it is in any of our financial interests to pay tax. However, it is a burden most people have to bear. The ineffectual Lords Appointment Committee only has the power to name and shame this chappie in its annual report. How many times have Home Secretaries been named and shamed in the Chief Inspector of Prisons annual report? This wee chappie is estimated to be worth £730M. Now, if I had that kind of money I wouldn't give a fuck how often I was named and shamed. Being in his early sixties, it is unlikely that he would be able to spend it all before he kicked the bucket and he can't take it with him. It would appear that he is trying to broker a deal with HM Revenue and Customs, a sort of you go easy on me and I'll come back home. You tightfisted Scottish bastard!

In the past there have been a few examples of people being stripped of their titles. In my view, it should be the case that no amount of money can buy such honours. However, corruption in our political parties is rife. A simple Act of Parliament is all that is needed to strip Lord Tax Dodger of his title. Again, if I had all his money I wouldn't give a damn. It might hurt him more if he was stripped of his title and it was instead given to that bloke who owns Harrods. If Parliament was doing its job properly in the first place there would not be all these loopholes in the tax laws allowing these bastards to crawl through.

As I understand it, this wee chappie has given money to charity (with the obvious tax benefits) and is sponsoring the English National Opera’s new production of Bizet’s Carmen. It is doubtful that like José our wee chappie will turn himself in to face justice. If he will not honour those undertakings to the Lord's Appointment Commission, why should we honour him?

No comments: