Site Meter

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thinking Blogger Award



It gives me a sense of pride to discover that I have been nominated for a Thinking Blogger Award by Gingersnaps, a honour which I accept. I must say that I did not fully understand what this is all about, when I posted my congratulations on her blog upon her receiving the award. And, I thought that she was only mentioning my blog in passing, as one worthy of note. Had it come to me first, there is no doubt that I would have nominated Gingersnaps for this thought provoking post. It was highlighted by wordpress and brought Gingersnaps to my attention. Since then I have been over at her place several times a day. I cannot get her out of my mind. And, I think this is what it is all about. Which brings me to the post on my blog which caused Gingersnaps to think about what I had to say and led her to nominating me.

My five nominations are, in no particular order;

Bob Piper. He came to my attention when he was under attack from some other bloggers for a post that I thought was much ado about nothing. I sided with Bob because of the way he handled the situation. He's a thinking man. And, more to the point, he supports my cause for prisoners having the vote. Here are a couple of examples of Bob Piper in action, one and two. And, because I suspect that Bob would nominate my next choice, I will make it harder for him by relieving him of this choice. I can hear him saying "Bastard!". UPDATE: As you can see from Bob's comment, he has declined which means I had to tag someone else. And that is Chris Paul. You can see some of his handy work here.

Our Man In Granada. This blog came to my attention through Bob Piper, and is worthy of greater recognition. He needs your support and this is an example of why.

Iain Dale. Iain Dale's Diary is a must read, and Iain states that it is a golden rule that you blog every day if not several times a day. The junkies need their fix. "Where is he? Where is he?", I inquire if he has not posted by the time I get up and visit his place. He's an old sparring partner of Bob Piper's. Iain is in the blue corner and Bob Piper is in the red corner. I find their little spats entertaining. Sometimes Iain's posts are serious and others like this one are amusing. But it is not just Iain's Dale's Diary that gets this nomination, but also 18doughtystreet.com the internet TV station, and in particular Blogger TV which has proved to be very popular amongst bloggers and even went down well in the States during the recent elections over there. UPDATE: Iain has emailed me to say that he already has this award. Therefore a much deserved blog is bel is thinking
, and is my alternative nomination. Here are a couple of bel's posts, one and two. I note from her blog that she has posted today that she is busy working. I hope that she is not too busy to accept this award.
Rachel From North London
. This is not the post I would have chosen for an example but it will have to do because the one I wanted to choose I cannot find and I suspect I know the reason why. Rachel has suffered a lot recently from a cyber-terrorist, and the post I wanted to show highlighted just some of the abuse she has suffered. Even without this, surviving the 7/7 terrorist attack deserves an award in itself. UPDATE: I have now found the post and will it give you an idea of what she has had to put up with, and why there might need to be a bloggers code of conduct.

Not Saussure. This is the thinking persons thinking blog which makes you think even more. And, here is just one example.

4 comments:

Bob Piper said...

I'm honoured to have been nominated John, but these things are a bit like chain letters and I try to avoid doing them if I can. Anyway... either you or someone else has already nominated the ones I would have done.

Ginger said...

Well aren't you a doll for your kinds words!

Bob, here's how I see this particular honor:

Not so much as a chain or meme, I see it as a chance to honor each other, say a few words of appreciation — and in my opinion there can never be too much of that — and best of all, give some of your (or my) particular blog’s regular readers a little blurb about what you value in each of your nominations — and something might catch their eye to go see for themselves.

Personally, I do not go down another person’s blogroll to find new blogs to read. That’s why I think it’s cool to actually feature some favorite blogs in an actual post. It puts it to the forefront.

jailhouselawyer said...

Ginger: Go get him gal!

Bob Piper said...

I'm sure you're right, ginger, and as I say, I think it was nice to be mentioned, but John has still nicked my obvious ones.