Site Meter

Monday, January 19, 2009

MoD launches investigation after racist Facebook comments

MoD launches investigation after racist Facebook comments



An inquiry into racism in the Armed Forces has been launched by the Ministry of Defence after a number of extreme comments were discovered on Facebook from people claiming to be service personnel.

Related content...

Plod update.

This morning I phoned my solicitor Frances Taylor of Harrison Bundey (solicitors), Leeds, and she has arranged for Jeff Toolman (agent) to represent me at 2.15pm on Wednesday at Priory Road Police HQ, when Detective Constable Gooder will question me under caution in relation to the complaint that alleged racist content is displayed on my blog. Adam Westbrook, broadcast journalist at Viking FM, is keeping tabs on the story to see how it develops. It was pointed out to me that there is no intention to arrest me, and that the interview is on a voluntary basis. However, a failure to respond willingly can lead to an arrest. I will just have to see if this nonsense can be stopped in its tracks before it gets more serious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I hope common sense wins through and plod realises how ludicrous these allegations are.

Out of interest, are the police duty bound to follow up even if they consider it is a hiding to nothing or could they have simply ignored the complaint?

jailhouselawyer said...

Richard: Cheers. I am not sure, but I believe the police have to follow up a complaint. See the post about my friends and their neighbours phoning the police to get their car moved. I suspect if the complaint went to the Internet Watch Foundation first and was then forwarded to the police, it might carry more weight than if Joe Public made the complaint directly to the police.

Anonymous said...

I do hope that it is not in connection with the golliwog labels that you have been sticking on your home-made jars of jam...........

CherryPie said...

Good luck, I will be interested to see the details of the allegation!

Merkin said...

You are just caught up in the government campaign to have further control of the internet.

We are well on the way to a nasty state of affairs and things are increasingly tight on the net.

http://bloggersontherun.blogspot.com/2009/01/mtfc-gordon-brown-son-of-manse.html

If the police want to interview me for being 'Cuntist' then they are welcome.

I will argue fair comment.

Best of luck tomorrow.