Site Meter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

ConJob

ConJob

Mark Leech the Thailand-based Director of Prisons.org.uk Ltd, has recently set up a newspaper for prisoners. When I heard that he was now based in Thailand, I could not stop myself from chuckling. I asked a friend, "Why would anybody base themselves in Thailand?". He replied, "Drugs or underage sex". I don't think Mark Leech who is openly gay and is HIV positive, is into drugs. I still tap my foot when I hear a Gary Glitter (Paul Gadd)song, and I posted on the swirly-faced teacher who went abroad to escape the laws of under-aged sex over here. But, I digress.

The newspaper is called ConVerse and in its header it proclaims "The Monthly Paper on Your Side of the Door!". It also proclaims "The Quality National Newspaper For Prisoners". It boasts "50,000 COPIES EVERY MONTH!". And states "More than ANY other monthly prisons paper!". (This is clearly a swipe at Inside Time - The National Newspaper for Prisoners which refused to publish an advert from Mark Leech which contained his OK logo).

In the January 2008 edition on page 1, I saw an article with the title "Jails Awash With Drugs". As I began to read the first paragraph, not only was I struck by the quality of the writing, but also my Aspergers Syndrome kicked in and my attention for detail informed me that I had already read this somewhere before, and recently at that. Even though the title was different I was not thrown off the scent. My previous probation officer, Nick Mitchell, said to me, "You have a phenomenal memory". The thing is, I'm getting lazy in my old age, and when I was growing up and in prison I didn't have a computer. So, I simply Googled the first paragraph and it saved me using brainpower.

"The public is being put at
risk from drug addicts and
mentally ill offenders
released from jail without
treatment, leading prison
doctors have said".

BBC Report: "Jails 'failing to treat inmates'". The first paragraph reads: "The public is being put at risk from drug addicts and mentally ill offenders released from jail without treatment, leading prison doctors have said".

The remainder of the ConVerse article is word for word the same as the BBC article. Now, on this blog I sometimes copy and paste whole articles. Sometimes I use the original title, and at other times I think up my own. What I don't do is copy someone else's literary work and simply change the title without crediting the original source. According to my dictionary: "To steal from the writings of another" is defined as plagiarism. Mark Leech has been caught bang to rights as a plagiarist. And what does it say about leech? "A grasping, parasitic person". That's the second choice, the first states: "A small blood-sucking worm formerly much used by doctors for letting blood".

If Mark Leech thinks he has carried off a bloodless coup he can think again. I predict that in the prison law war he is on the losing side.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like Mr Leech has got someone's goat! This is hardly surprising given that he seems to be interested only in building an empire and making money. Hard to see how this is compatible with the experiences of people in prison. Trust you John for spotting the obscure! I knew this Asperger's business would come in handy one day!
x

jailhouselawyer said...

anonymous: I have just heard that the POA are non too happy about the article he wrote about them either.

I don't believe all his talk about prisoners rights. As you say, it is all about business for him.

He has recently libelled a barrister friend of mine. I think it is time he was exposed for what he is, a fraud.

Merkin said...

'What I don't do is copy someone else's literary work and simply change the title without crediting the original source.'
.
Exactly.
And now, we can search it to find the originator.
No matter.
Still, good to see you are still up and running and best wishes for your continuing efforts.

regards, Boldscot

jailhouselawyer said...

merkin: The articles originated from the BBC.

Thanks, it is always frustrating when there is a communication breakdown.