Site Meter

Thursday, January 10, 2008

One dog and his companion



One dog and his companion

Well I got up this morning and checked my gas meter, when I went to the fridge which I keep in a cupboard under the stairs, only to discover that there was 2p of credit left on it therefore I activated the emergency credit of £4.00. My thinking was that at least my dole money, minus the £30 bank overdawn charge, would be in my bank account. Alas my balance only showed the -£30. Now and again the money does not register until Friday, but generally speaking it is registered on Thursday. It may just be a glitch. There again, it may be down to the fact that I signed on a day late this week and this could be the cause. It is worrying for me because I am almost skint. Luckily for me I still had 57p left over from Christmas, and was able to buy a 37p loaf of bread from Tesco Express across the road. I pulled out two sausages from the freezer and was able to have a sausage sandwich for breakfast. The coffee has run out, although I have some milk and teabags, and the sugar is almost out. I have just warmed up the last of the mince, potato and vegetable stew. There is a good half bowl full. Usually, I eat it all in two meals over two days. This time it has almost stretched to three meals over three days. Later tonight I will fry a couple of beefburgers from the freezer and put them into a sandwich. There is nothing worse than trying to sleep with hunger pangs in the stomach. Before eating the mince I took Rocky for his afternoon walk and went to the chemist to pick up my prescription eyedrops which assist to prevent my glaucoma from getting worse than it already is. Rocky was off his lead as we went down "The Track" (a former railway line which is now a pedestrian and cyclist only path), and he decided to bound up to an Asian-looking young man and bark at him. The man started to panic and kick out at Rocky. I rushed up to him and shouting that Rocky was alright. The man calmed down and said that he was frightened. I said that Rocky can smell his fear and he agreed that this was the case. We had a chat for a few minutes and shook hands before we went our separate ways. I wished two things; firstly that Rocky would not do this, and secondly, that the encounter with the parkie had not ended as amicably as it did on this occasion. I am wondering if I should keep Rocky on his lead more often? I think he does it out of devilment and when he barks at these people he is saying to them "I can smell that you fear me".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the dog on a lead, not everyone likes dogs. I previously posted here that I was an Insurance Agent before I retired. Insurance Agents get bitten by dogs. Getting bitten ain't funny and the fear of getting bitten ain't funny either. It's not that we don't like dogs, we just don't want them to bite us, seems fair. So if all dog owners would keep their dogs on a lead I would be able to go for walkies without being bitten, or be able to go for walkies without the worry of being bitten.

gordonisamoron said...

Two suggestions:

1) Get a job and support yourself. The state have supported you for far too long. Being hungry is more palatable than being killed.

2) Keep your dog on a lead in public. As comfy socks says, not everyone likes dogs. You clearly have no feelings for your fellow humans. If you did you would have more concern for their fears.

Anonymous said...

I find the comment made by gordonisamoron unnecessary, but then he has just popped over from Guidos. My post was intended to be humorous and nothing more. I would also add I am a fully paid up member of The Labour Party and I do not think Gordon is a moron. Just to put the record straight as it were.