Site Meter

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Work a four letter swear word

Work a four letter swear word

I have a brief to write 4 executive summaries of 4 Prison Service Orders for Inside Time - The National Newspaper for Prisoners. They are PSOs 2000 adjudications, 4000 incentives and earned privileges, 4275 time in the open air, and 4411 prisoner communications - correspondance (sic Prison Service misspelling).

In relation to the first, The Prison Discipline Manual, I am reminded of the time back in 1973 when I was in Wandsworth Prison in London, and the only notice of report I received was the word "Nicked" chalked on the outside of my cell door. Then it was an appearance before the prison governor, and he would read out the charge and ask how I pleaded to the charge. I was the first man in penal history to get a not guilty verdict at Wandsworth on an adjudication. I noticed that the governor wrote down in longhand the prison officer's verbal evidence. I thought that the prison officer would not be able to remember what he had said, and asked him to repeat his evidence. I noted that the governor frowned at the different second version, so I asked that it be repeated a third time. The governor stopped writing part way through when it became clear that the prison officer had condemned himself, and ordered me out and demanded that the prison officer stand on the carpet. I heard the governor shout "In future, if you're going to stitch a con up keep your verbal short and sweet. Get Out!".

The standard of fairness may well have improved over the years, still it is dependent upon the adjudicator playing fair. The Prison Discipline Manual is really only window dressing. The onus is upon the prisoner to know the law and argue for his or her rights to justice.

Here's an enterprising example from North of the Border.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jailhouselawyer,

Interesting .. it's impossible for a person to record ver batim statements using longhand - hard enough for 120 wpm shorthand writers.
This makes the governor's note taking highly unreliable.

History shows officers 'stitching cons' and 'cons stitching officers'.

jailhouselawyer said...

You are forgetting the simple solution of asking the witness to give evidence slowly, and asking him to pause whilst the governor catches up.

Anonymous said...

Like to hear more about this. See you again very shortly, squire.