Site Meter

Friday, November 07, 2008

About Vodafone UK and the unfair contract terms

About Vodafone UK and the unfair contract terms

The other day my friend Victor tried to call my mobile phone number and could not get through.

I knew my credit had recently run out and went to buy a £10 top up, even though I know people have called me before when I do not have credit on my mobile phone, and the PayPoint failed to register a connection. I thought the top up card had been damaged, but when I went to the shop where I bought the mobile phone I was informed that Vodafone had disconnected my sim card and recycled my phone number. The shop assistant stated that if I bought another sim card for £5, they will allocate me another number.

I was informed I should have read the small print:

"6. Suspension, Disconnection and Termination

6.1 We can suspend (i.e. bar), restrict or end the provision of the Services (in whole or in part) if:
(c) you choose not to use the Service for a period of 180 days (‘use of this service’ means (i) making any chargeable outbound calls (excluding calls to 191, see your price plan for charges) or (ii) any topping up of your account);".

As a lawyer I am aware about the need to read the small print. However, given the amount of printed text in the two supplied booklets, if everybody had to read all of this first before making a purchase it is doubtful anybody would wait in a queue to buy a mobile phone whilst the small print was read. Vodafone's profits would very soon walk out of the door.

My argument is, this information should have clearly been displayed in the shop window and in the store and on the box and the shop assistant should draw the customer's attention to this penalty clause.

9 comments:

2345 said...

Had the 180 day condition expired ?

CherryPie said...

I think the other mobile phone companies have similar conditions too...

Anonymous said...

Not Virgin

jailhouselawyer said...

2345: According to my phone records I last made a call 12 September 2008. If this is correct then the 180 days had not expired.

Cherrypie: I think they all do too. So much for competition...

Ron: At your age I am not surprised. Yes, even Virgin have the 180 days although I am led to believe that they do not actually enforce it.

2345 said...

jailhouselawyer,

Then Vodaphone are in breach of contract .....

James Higham said...

Tell me about it - mine is Vodaphone and I am trying to stop their sneaky money grubbing, not letting me opt out of things and so on.

CherryPie said...

I am on pay as you go and recently I changed my from orange to T-mobile the phone calls are half the price! The extras are easier to understand too.

Andy said...

Jeez man! Stop being so cheap and phone a friend once in a while!

jailhouselawyer said...

Andy: Have you not heard about communication via landline and email? Much cheaper.