Site Meter

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Currying favour with Muslim prisoners

Currying favour with Muslim prisoners


Back in the 1970s, when I was at HM Prison Albany (before it became a prison for sex offenders), I remember the odd occasion when prisoners would be treated to a fish and chips supper. Prison Officers would pop down to the local chippy. Part of the deal was that they would also benefit in the treat. Therefore, this story from HM Prison Whitemoor holds no surprises for me in this respect. However, I cannot support the treat, in this instance, which favoured Muslim prisoners over all other prisoners. It is blatant reverse discrimination. I have tasted prison food for 35 years. I am not a curry lover, just a plain old fashioned sausage, egg and chips man. However, those who do like curry did inform me that the prison curries were alright. It would appear that the Muslim prisoners are playing the old soldier and the prison governor fell for it. I have known Muslim prisoners work in the prison kitchens preparing food for their fellow Muslim prisoners. If this did not happen at HM Prison Whitemoor, why not? If it did, then their complaint should be taken up with their own kind. All this case has done is play into the hands of the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade. I would be interested to learn who tipped off the media and what was their agenda?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is old news, but to be honest I wasn't surprised.

Conditions at Whitemoor are ridiculous, the prison officers want rid of Rodford and I don't blame them.

Expect more "leaks" to the press about stuff like this in the future.

By the way did you see the "Rampton wedding" in the Sun rag? I have it on good authority that it's crap. You are NOT allowed conjugal visits if you're a patient on a high secure unit.

Hell, it's all they'll do to let you have a hug and a peck on the cheek with a loved one. Just another example of getting the brain dead public whipped into a frenzy about prisoners....

Anonymous said...

one day, though not in my lifetime, a screw will be prosecuted for "leaking". That none ever is only speaks to the power of the POA, or the tacit compliance of govt. The governor was an ass, tho, its not as if a prison kitchen cant make curry. Doh!