Site Meter

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry...

I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry...

I am sorry, but I feel I really must comment upon this story "Children's Commissioner apologises to James Bulger's mother over comment". It highlights the sorry state of affairs indicating that the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

"At the weekend, Dr Atkinson described James's killing as ''exceptionally unpleasant'', but said it was wrong that Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, who were 10 in 1993 when they were charged with the murder, were tried in an adult court".

"The comments were condemned by Mrs Fergus as "twisted and insensitive"".

Pot calling kettle black!

Matters are not helped by the screaming headline from the Daily Mail: 'They've got away with murder while I've got a life sentence'. It is not until half way down the article that the fact emerges "The boys became the youngest convicted murderers in Britain for almost three centuries". So, the truth is they did not get away with murder at all! They were subjected to the due process of law. Furthermore, it is the headline and the comment from Denise Fergus which is both twisted and insenitive.

The Guardian quotes Denise Fergus: "To say that his killers should not have been tried in an adult court is stupid". In my view, the reasoned judgment of the European Court of Human Rights is not stupid. Whereas the unreasoned judgement of Denise Fergus is stupid!

It is not that I am insensitive to the hurt feelings of Denise Fergus upon having her 2 year old child James murdered by the 10 year old children Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. It is the hysteria whipped up by an irresponsible media, provoking unreasonable comments from Denise Fergus, and irresponsible politicians knee-jerking to the rabid tabloid headlines and editorials.

Irrespective of their crimes, neither Jon Venables nor Robert Thompson are monsters; they are human beings.

It all rather reminds me of the Monty Python The Argument Sketch:

"Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry", etc, etc.

1 comment:

richard said...

Well said John.

As always, giving the victims a soap box does not have any relevance to justice. It just adds absurdity to the situation.

Criminal justice must not be about appeasing the subjective point of view of individuals.