Site Meter

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Moat MP Douglas Hogg calls for higher MP salaries

Moat MP Douglas Hogg calls for higher MP salaries

The MP whose moat became a symbol of the expenses scandal has spoken of his "distress" over the affair.

Douglas Hogg, who owns a country estate in his Lincolnshire constituency, is also calling for MPs to receive a large pay rise.

In his first interview since the scandal broke, the veteran Conservative MP has denied that he even has a moat.

He told the Politics Show for Yorkshire and Lincolnshire that his claim was to clean out a drainage ditch.


I watched this report on TV. The interviewer pointed out to Hogg that the average salary is £25,000, but still the troughing MP claimed that an MP's annual salary of £65,000 was far too low. "He said he wanted it increased by about 50% to attract people of the right calibre into politics. He suggested that MPs should not be worse off than GPs, dentists or low-level judges".

I don't agree with this 'if you had paid us more we would not have to steal from the taxpayer' line of argument. It should be how much can we serve the public not how much can we steal from them!

3 comments:

Charles Cowling said...

Interesting theory: max pay buys max honesty. I'm skint, Mr Hogg. So I'm capable of anything. Buy me off!

CherryPie said...

If those comments are from someone of the right caliber as he puts it. He is not the sort of person I want serving me or as I am a Civil Servant someone I would want to work for.

Barnacle Bill said...

Fecking troughers should be on the minimum wage and fifteen bob a night B&B allowance.