Site Meter

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Soham killer Ian Huntley's throat slashed in prison

Soham killer Ian Huntley's throat slashed in prison

Ian Huntley, who killed schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in Soham in 2003, has been taken to hospital after having his throat slashed.



Huntley is being treated in hospital for the wound to his throat, which is said to be serious but not life-threatening.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson confirmed the injury was sustained in an assault by another prisoner on Sunday afternoon.

"A prisoner at HMP Frankland was assaulted by another prisoner at about 3.25pm on Sunday 21 March," said a spokesman.

"The prisoner was taken to outside hospital for treatment. His condition is not thought to be life-threatening."

Huntley, 36, is currently serving two life sentences at Frankland Prison, a maximum-security facility in County Durham, where he has reportedly been given "special treatment" by guards to prevent a reprise of previous suicide attempts.

He was transferred there from Wakefield prison in West Yorkshire, where in 2005 he was reportedly attacked with boiling water by another prisoner.

8 comments:

Charles Cowling said...

The state takes this man into its custody with all the duty of care which that encumbers it with. I can remember a prisoner (Cat C, end of sentence, sex offender some kind) whose crime was made known by a screw to other prisoners, who slipped the traditional pool balls into the traditional sock and inflicted the traditional 'punishment'.

How does this happen to Huntley (whatever he's done)? What's your take, John? I ask that with a completely open mind.

CherryPie said...

I too would welcome your thoughts on this.

jailhouselawyer said...

I was one of the first Category A prisoners to go to Frankland Prison when it first opened. My reputation went before me, and I was mindful that someone might try to do me to add to their reputation. Nobody succeeded.

However, I recall a character I nicknamed Wild Bill Hickcock because he looked like the film character. His trial judge said he was very dangerous, and he sought to live up to that reputation and announced that he intended to put Frankland on the map.

I recall him looking in my cell and he decided he would go after an easier target. He chose a double lifer with a 30 year minimum recommendation, who knocked him out with a PP9 battery in a sock.

I never relied upon prison officers to protect me, preferring to protect myself. My experience is that they are only good at clearing up afterwards. This incident with Huntley proves my point. In theory, he was meant to be getting 24 hour protection. The reality is that somebody was able to get at him and do the business. There is always the danger of human error and complacency.

There will be an inquiry, the report will say the authorities will learn by their mistakes. However, just look at the protection afforded the President of the US, and how many times the lone assassin has got through. I suspect the old breakdown in communication, a prison officer letting the attacker out of his cell when Huntley's cell door was unlocked. Either it was accidental or deliberate.

Charles Cowling said...

Thanks, John. Very much. I've often wondered what it would be like to be locked up. I used to ask my imprisoned 'learners', my captive audience. They'd reply, darkly, "You wouldn't like it, Charlie." In truth, I am certain I would have neither the wits nor the courage.

This is a fascinating insight, John.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I won't be losing any sleep over this guy. Duty of care my foot.

jailhouselawyer said...

Charles: I understand that Phil Wheatley, Director General of NOMS, has just been on the phone for ages on the subject of Frankland Prison.

Charles Cowling said...

Phone or radio, John? If the latter, which station? If the former, to whom?

I like that PP9 touch, btw. To power a radio, presumably? In the case of your man, to power a Hacker, the lifer's radio of choice? Did you do your time with a Hacker?

jailhouselawyer said...

Charles: Phone. Perhaps, Security or Governor of Frankland.

I did have a Hacker and Roberts (Company merged) at one time.