Site Meter

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Big Benn and little Benn

Big Benn and little Benn

Tony Benn: making mistakes is part of life

'I am kindly and old. But I am not harmless': an interview with Tony Benn, Britain's most trenchant national treasure



With its white picket fence, Labour red front door and brown plaque commemorating his late wife Caroline, Tony Benn’s house in Notting Hill is something of a local landmark. He has lived here since 1952, mostly downstairs in the basement. There is a small printed note on the front door directing visitors down there. When I find him, the door is open. I ask about the plaque. ‘I put it up myself. Didn’t ask permission. Am too old to ask for permission. Takes too long, asking for permission.’

Perhaps, one of those mistakes is Hilary Benn?

Hilary Benn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always liked Tony Benn, more to do with his stance against the Iraq war. He showed a warmth for human life it means something to him...unlike BLiar the war monger who is enjoying himself in Bali with his greedy wife at the moment.


IRONSIDE