Site Meter

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Black Tuesday

Black Tuesday

Last night that pervert Iain Dale, the so-called number one political blogger, wrote a post about fingering a government minister. He got the story from the BBC website, where it was suggested that a minister has claimed he is prepared to resign. At ten I went down to watch the BBC news, it was all about banks collapsing in the U.S., and the power sharing deal between Morgan Tsvangirai and Robert Mugabe. Then the BBC went to other news and there was a very brief mention about the possible resignation of a minister of state. Newsnight also led with the financial crisis.

For breakfast I had the last two rashers of bacon between my last two slices of bread, and made a cup of tea and noted that the milk use by date had expired by 5 days. All day I rolled my cigarettes from my emergency ration, a pack of Rizlas that had somehow got wet and all the gum had disappeared from the fag papers. For tea I heated up a tin of beans and noted that that best before date was two years old, and the milk had still not gone off so I had another cup of tea. The day before, I found some old ham and pork dog food in the freezer, so Rocky is surviving the state of emergency. As yesterday was the 15th of the month, and the Direct Debit of £17.98 for my internet connection was due, missing this means that the bill is outstanding and NatWest will charge me £28 for not having the funds in my account. And another £28 for being overdrawn. Yorkshire Water will take another £20, plus I will still have to pay for the internet connection, I make that £94 out of my £110 of my state benefit on Thursday is already taken care of leaving me £16 to last 2 weeks!

A friend brought me £20 around 9pm. I gave him 4 jars of home made blackberry jam. At £5 per jar, I suspect it was more expensive than Harrods.

I spend more than I earn. This leads to debt.

Obviously, I think about the state of the economy and The Great Depression of the 1930s, and the present financial climate, what with Britain's number one political blogger not having his finger on the political pulse.

I go into Tesco and buy 2 packs of 20 frozen sausages for a £1 each. Lay on the floor again to reach a loaf of bread right at the back of the bottom shelf. Buy some fresh milk. Then walk up and down the aisle muttering "I don't believe it!" several times, when I discover Tesco's own brand 100g coffee has gone up from 37p to 51p! In protest, I don't buy it on principle. Then I buy a 5 pack of Rizla for 86p saving 29p. The luxury of having gum on a Rizla for a change.

Why does the government need to borrow money if it collects taxes? Because its public expenditure is higher than its income of taxes. The rate of inflation is, in effect, an invisible extra tax. In the same way that my borrowing money only increases my financial deficit, so too with the government and its fiscal deficit. This only leads to financial instability.

This country is now financially in the worst position since the end of World War 2. There again, we can look on the bright side, as Iain Dale reports the BBC is reporting that a government minister of state is about to resign...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

jaiolhouselawyer,

Labour are quango, target obsessed 'wasters'. £17 billion for non-functioning NHS computer system, dumped by our local hospitals as 'slow and unsafe' etc. etc. etc.

James Higham said...

For breakfast I had the last two rashers of bacon between my last two slices of bread, and made a cup of tea and noted that the milk use by date had expired by 5 days. All day I rolled my cigarettes from my emergency ration, a pack of Rizlas that had somehow got wet and all the gum had disappeared from the fag papers.

Memories, memories.

Anonymous said...

I suppose that giving up cigarettes might be a good decision financially. Not much fun and probably wouldn't add to the sense of well being - but on a purely financial basis, one that would leave you a little more to spend on essentials.

Anonymous said...

John,

Scotland Officer minister, David Cairns has resigned today.

I've often wondered why Brown pursued his career in England, not Scotland.

Anonymous said...

jailhouselawyer,

Post war poverty was the result of our ancestors fight for our freedom.
Labour's agreement to open border policies has resulted in the invasion of immigrants, legal or otherwise, without the resources or infrastructure to cope.

Read in today's press than Britain is the most densely populated EU country and continuing to rise.

Anonymous said...

"a post about fingering a government minister."??????

I wouldn't mind fingering Hazel Blears.

And I wouldn't be too put out at the prospect of poking Gordon Brown in the eye.

Back to the point, we shop mainly at Aldi and Lidl. Sod tesco and their mis-stated claims of "lowering prices".

Lying bastards.

Anonymous said...

James Higham:

For breakfast today I had a pack of rizlas on toast that had been rendered useless by me accidentally tipping a half pint of beer over them whilst sat at the keyboard; I sent the kids to school with pack-up made up with peanut butter spread on four playing cards.(I thought that we could afford to waste a couple of jokers and a pair of deuces.)I gave them home made bottles of tap water with dandelions in the bottles for flavour.

I am forced to run my monster truck on cooking oil and I would like to know what the labour party is going to do about this situation!
(apart from giving themselves huge pay rises and large "golden handshakes)