Site Meter

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tales of a skip rat

Tales of a skip rat

I caught the weather girl on BBC 1 Look North last night, and she said it would be a bright, sunny and warm day today. So far, the forecast has been spot on it is simply glorious here in Hull.

Last night RonKnee mounted a rescue mission and crossed the Humber Bridge to visit me. He brought me a food parcel, I now know how the POWs felt when receiving their Red Cross packages, and some money. All in all, it must have set him back £50. As he said, "We've all been there". We have a mutual friend who introduced him to my blog. And since then we became good friends and all because of the internet connection and that community within the blogosphere.

I changed my routine this morning, and had breakfast (sausage sandwich and a cup of tea) before I took Rocky for his walk. I noticed the man who I know has a large hunting knife sheathed in the back of his waistband, throwing a small bedside or TV table into a skip. It looked in pretty good condition, and I thought it would go nicely in Rocky's bedroom (the one James Higham of Nourishing Obscurity stayed in the other week), and I would have instead given it to the Dove House Hospice rather than throw it away. I made a mental note to retrieve it if it was still there when I returned from Rocky's walk.

I popped into Norman's the butcher on Princess Avenue and we discussed the court case involving Rocky and myself, and what a waste of taxpayers money it had all cost. He derided the fact that the LibDem controlled council had been voted number one in the country. I had to agree there are issues I have with the council which would not have placed it so highly. I told him I did not want any dog meat as I had managed to get Rocky back on to the tinned dog food. Still, he asked whether I needed any dog bones and I allowed him to talk me into buying some. The two bags cost £4, which I think is a lot given he once gave me a lot more for free once when he needed to clear some space in his fridge. And, I recall as a child getting a bag of bones from a butcher for 6 old pence. I know some pensioners would (I don't suppose they still do given the cost today) boil them and make stew.

There was £83 and some pence in my current account. However, it is not a true reflection of my worth. There are some outstanding bills which reduce this total drastically. On the off chance, I tried my deposit account and found to my surprise that there was a £100 to my credit. Then it all fell into place. Flo, my barrister friend had mentioned that she recently put some money into it and that I had not thanked her for it. I do recall thanking her. However, obviously I had done so for the previous amount she had deposited in there. I thought she was referring to this and not a further deposit. So, I have been struggling to make ends meet and there I was sat on a gold mine.

I picked up the table on the way back. I have been called some things over the years. Now I am a skip rat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jailhouselawyer,

You're a friend of mother nature, an avid recycler and think of those worse off than yourself in the Hospice.

How heartening to read about two acts of Christian kindness with the food parcel and barrister friend's financial assistance. Well deserved, what goes around comes around ....

Our butcher now charges for bones; a family business battling for survival against greedy supermarkets, high rents and business rates. I bet Rocky will love 'em, especially the marrow !

white rabbit said...

Blessies all round to Ronald (what a star!) your barrister and yourself. We have all been there and it's then you learn a lot about yourself - and find out who your friends are.

Anonymous said...

John,

Some well dressed people make a living in London from upmarket skip contents !