Site Meter

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I was disturbed in more ways than one last night, when at 8.45 Liana slammed the door knocker as I was at my computer waiting for Blogger TV to come on at 9 on 18doughtystreet.com the internet TV station. She brought me a bag of carrots from the food factory where she is now working. I told her they looked like giant dildos. I am not sure that she understood. She said she had been working 13 hours with only 1 hour for lunch. And that she is working 6 days a week, and refused to work 7 days when she was asked to. That's a long day taking into account travelling time etc. And having to pay for the transport to and from work. Then she dropped the bombshell, that she was only being paid £4 per hour! That's at least £1.35 below the National Minimum Wage. She just said by way of explanation, "Russian Mafia". I would like to pursue this abuse, but it is hard enough for her to get work in the first place and there is a danger that if I chased this matter up she would find herself out of work again and unable to claim any State benefit. The irony is that we live in Hull where William Wilberforce the anti-slavery campaigner lived. It appears that nothing has really changed...

No comments: