Site Meter

Saturday, January 13, 2007

On Wednesday 10th January 2007, it was a busy day for me. At 9am, I did a Radio 5 Live interview for an hour, on the Grand Chamber hearing of Dickson v. The United Kingdom (app.no. 44362/04), in which a convicted murderer claimed that it was a breach of his human rights under Article 8 and Article 12 of the Convention, for the State to refuse access to artificial insemination facilities.

Then at 1.45pm, I was in the magistrates court in Hull, acting as a "McKenzie Friend", for my Latvian friend, Liana, who had been prosecuted for non-payment of council tax. It is strict liability, it is no defence to be destitute. As Latvia is one of the A8 States, migrants are not entitled to any State benefits unless they have worked for 12 months without a break. I think that it is unfair to expect everyone who comes over here from another European State is automatically going to get a job and stay in that job for the required period. I feel that there should be a safety net for the less fortunate. Although the magistrates granted the council a liability order against Liana, it was not for the full amount claimed by the council, nor did the magistrates grant the council and order for £65 costs against Liana. As Liana will only be liable for between £40-50 in council tax, it cost the council using taxpayers money, at least £15 more than the sum claimed to claim this amount. Talk about a waste of money!

At 6.20pm, I did another radio interview on the artificial insemination case, this time it was for Radio London.

Sunday morning at 9 'O Clock, I have another interview with Radio Birmingham. I would have preferred to stay in bed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Hirst
Why shouldn't your Latvian friend pay council tax? Why shouldn't she work to pay for herself? Why should I have to pay for it with my taxes? We should all work and pay our own way, unless we are physically/ mentally unable to do so.
Why aren't you making your own living? Why are you living off government handouts? Why on earth won't you pay for a TV liscense like the rest of us?
Stop for a moment and think about what this country would be like if we all behaved like you and your Latvian friend.

jailhouselawyer said...

Because she does not have any money. Because she is unable to get a job even though she is looking for work. Because its the law and you are a good citizen. Or unable to get a job. Because I haven't got a job. Because I haven't got a job. Because I don't think it is worth £131.50, and we are all not as stupid as you are. Some people behave hell of a lot worse than Liana and myself, why don't you think about that instead?