Site Meter

Sunday, January 27, 2008

This and that

This and that

This morning after a shit I am sat in the lounge having a cup of tea and a roll up, before taking Rocky for a walk, and flick on BBC 1 to keep my mind occupied. Countryfile had just started and there was a report on Auschwitz because today is Holocaust Memorial Day. My mind thinks of Lest We Forget. Then goes to dodgy donations or at least the failures to declare them. I think it is rather convenient that those who have failed to declare them do not fail to accept them.

When Thursday came, I had just over a pound in loose change in the purse section of my wallet and had spent a few days believing that that was all I had to my name. Therefore, it was a pleasant surprise when I went to put the notes from the cash point in my wallet that I discovered there was £15 already in there. I really will have to get a grip of my senile dementia!

At 2pm, I had just switched off my computer in readiness to take Rocky for his afternoon walk and there was a knock on the front door. It was Father Ted and his wife Kate, two of my support network, and they had brought me a £100. I topped the gas and electric meters up, with £20 and £10 respectively, and bought a padded work shirt and padded sleeveless work jacket, and a cheap bottle of whisky from Aldi. As I browsed around the store, I noticed quite a few chocolate products with foreign names but the picture on the packs were clearly Mars, Twix and Snickers (formerly Marathon). I looked for the manufacturers name to verify the brand name makers, but all I could find was the information that the product had been specially selected for Aldi. More and more of the stores now stock products from Eastern Europe, and there are several shops which are owned by Eastern Europeans. As I walked home, a couple walking towards me surprised me that they spoke perfect English. This is getting rarer in my neighbourhood. I am beginning to feel like a foreigner in my own country. I am not complaining, merely making an observation.

No comments: