Site Meter

Monday, January 14, 2008

Cop out by Lincolnshire Police

Cop out by Lincolnshire Police

It was reported on BBC1 Look North tonight that Lincolnshire Police has decided not to charge a 17 year old youth who caused a head on crash whilst driving without a licence and insurance. The youth who was racing against a friend overtook and crashed into an elderly couples car on the other side of the road. The couple narrow escaped serious injury or death. Apparently, the police decided to let the youth off instead with a final warning. I do not know whether this was a first and final warning or whether he had received previous warnings for other offences. In any event, it remains puzzling why the police decided not to prosecute in a case which is obviously a serious offence. According to the Lincolnshire Police it was because of the youths age and upon gathering evidence. However, the youth is 7 years over the age of criminal responsibility, and the evidence is that he had no driving licence and no insurance and by overtaking his friend on a bend he caused a head on car crash. Whilst I accept it is not a good thing to have a criminal record at such a young age which may harm his future prospects, nevertheless I feel that a warning is not the appropriate penalty in the circumstances.

3 comments:

Dark Side said...

I would imagine it will be the CPS not Lincolnshire Police who let him off, but I maybe wrong..

Anonymous said...

Give me his name and address, I will attempt to "let him off" as well with my lorry.

Anonymous said...

There is something sadly wrong with the way the schools are teaching young people to drive. Just before Christmas I was forced off the road by a 19 year old twat who, as I indicated to overtake and drew level with his car instantly put on his own indicator and immediately swerved right forcing me onto a verge. When I caught up with him I just could not make him understand that you are supposed to give adequate time when indicating a turn, not just flick on the indicator and swerve.

Something similar happened to me after Christmas as well, where a chap was doing about twenty MPH on the road, so after a couple of minutes I put on my indicator and overtook him. As I drew level with him he gave a loud blast on his horn and then STOPPED in the middle of the road, put on his indicator and turned right into a driveway. Just what is this thing some people have with too-late indication? Are we supposed to guess when and where somebody wants to turn off the main road or are we supposed to trawl along behind myopic drivers at 15 mph for a few hours just in case they suddenly decide to turn right at some point?