Site Meter

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Al-Megrahi is home. And he is innocent

Al-Megrahi is home. And he is innocent

The release of the so-called Lockerbie bomber was long overdue, for the case against him was politically driven



I became involved with Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi quite by accident. Like many people I had been suffering from Lockerbie fatigue. For me, and for you, I suppose, life had moved on from that horrendous crime over 20 years ago and the imprisonment of the Libyan murderer. That was that.

At least it was, until I agreed, by chance, to sponsor the showing of a Dutch documentary about the Lockerbie bombing at Parliament. I invited all MSPs and researchers, and indeed the press corps, to see this film. One MSP and one member of the press came, and I really only saw it because I felt obliged to attend. But that film changed my perspective. From that casual moment, and from much that I have learned since, I am convinced not only that Megrahi was not found guilty "beyond reasonable doubt", the test in Scot's law, but that he is an innocent man.


UPDATE:

Kenny MacAskill's decision to free Megrahi is a tribute to our decency

9 comments:

Devonshire Dumpling said...

This is interesting, John

http://tinyurl.com/34kybn

Anonymous said...

Good morning John,was just about to post you the same link. What the hell is going on..Friday he was the most evil man to walk the planet , now we see they believe he is innocent. Having searched the net and reading up on this case it is hard to believe that this happened. Are we to believe that they hoped he would die before his appeal, when they realised this was not to be they let him go?.Or not that simple.



IRONSIDE

Anonymous said...

Devonshire Dumpling....what a lovely name ,you remind me of all things English...Yorkshire pudding and roast beef , long walks in the country...cream teas...



IRONSIDE

jailhouselawyer said...

DD: I followed the link you supplied but whatever it was it could not be found.

Ironside: There is a lot of skullduggery going on here.

Anonymous said...

Looks like they want to cast enough doubt and quick so that the meeting still goes ahead in September.Where is Brown in all of this after being thanked for his help by Gadaffi..keeping a very low profile...and Mandy where is that little toe rag?


IRONSIDE...

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8216589.stm

The best close up of Al-Megrahi to date.

IRONSIDE

Devonshire Dumpling said...

Try this direct link John -

http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

Hello Anonymous Ironside! (quote) you remind me of all things English...Yorkshire pudding and roast beef , long walks in the country...cream teas... ah yes, that's me (blushes) but you forgot to include my tea imbibing abilities.

jailhouselawyer said...

DD: I was looking at that site a couple of days ago. Thanks anyway.

Vigilante said...

Political assassins and terrorists strike at the life blood of open, constitutional and democratic societies. Absent the death penalty, (which I agree should be abolished), these assholes should rot to death in prison whenever they can be caught and convicted. That's what Megrahi was doing when he was let out, "Scot-Free".