Site Meter

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Happy New Year to all my readers

A Happy New Year to all my readers

I am, as always, on New Year's Eve looking forward to watching this programme on BBC2.

The needles on my Christmas tree are as dead as 2009, and litter the floor like a mass grave.

Yesterday I bought a 25kg bag of coal ready for the cold snap. I knew the bag did not contain traditional or premium house coal, but I was upset when using it in my fireplace it did not burst into flames after using 8 firelighters! So, I did a Google search...



Anthracite was first experimentally burned as a residential heating fuel in the USA on 11 February 1808, by Judge Jesse Fell in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, on an open grate in a fireplace. Anthracite differs from wood in that it needs a draft from the bottom, and Judge Fell proved with his grate design that it was a viable heating fuel.

Once I ensured a good free flow of air from underneath, it burnt brilliantly into the early hours of the morning. Nevertheless, I might consider now getting a coal fired stove as opposed to an open fire...

Signing off now. See you in 2010.

6 comments:

James Higham said...

Anthracite - does that give you anthrax?

Barnacle Bill said...

I hope you see the New Year in suitable style, have a good one John and see you in 2010.

CherryPie said...

Happy New Year to you too :-)

Devonshire Dumpling said...

Happy New Year John :)

Charles Cowling said...

A Happy New Year to you, John, with gratitude and best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Very happy 2010 to you and Rocky!
Un abrazo