Site Meter

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Long and Winding Road: Prisoners votes

The Long and Winding Road: Prisoners votes



1.17 "For individuals, and for those advising them, the road to Strasbourg is long and hard. Even when they get there, the Convention enforcement machinery is subject to long delays. This might be convenient for a government which was half-hearted about the Convention and the right of individuals to apply under it, since it postpones the moment at which changes in domestic law or practice must be made. But it is not in keeping with the importance which this Government attaches to the observance of basic human rights". (Tony Blair) in (Rights Brought Home: The Human Rights Bill)

2 comments:

Leslie A. Bour said...

Jailhouselawyer,

Let me first commend you on this blog and your crusade for justice, to which I wholeheartedly support. I am writing to inform you that despite my membership of a political party in the UK, I will not be voting in the 2010 General Election unless the incumbent Government repeals the current law on prisoners' voting.

jailhouselawyer said...

Labour: Thanks for your support. I voted Labour last time but feel they have not only let me down but all those who believed Labour genuinely supported human rights.