Site Meter

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Paedophile, 82, jailed for string of child sex attacks

Paedophile, 82, jailed for string of child sex attacks

An 82-year-old paedophile has been jailed for 25 years after being found guilty of a string of sex offences spanning more than half a century.




Ronald Dean, of Chandlers Ford, near Southampton, was convicted of 25 counts including rape, indecent assault and perverting the course of justice.

Southampton Crown Court heard the most recent assault was just two years ago.

The court was told his past only came to light 15 months ago when his first victim told police.

Dean, who had never received a police caution in his life, was sentenced on Thursday.

It is unlikely he will ever be released.

'Robust sentence'

The court heard his victims were aged between three and 16 years old.

His first victim lived with her secret for more than 50 years.

After Dean was sentenced, she told the BBC: "It was dreadful. It was in my head twenty-four seven.

"In the 50s the police would have never believed me. I can breathe now. I have got my life back.

"I take my hat off to the judge. Twenty five years - take him down."

Det Insp John Geden, of Hampshire police, said: "I think what the judge has done in this case is he has reflected the severity of the offending which took place over a 50 year-plus period.

"This is an offender who is now 82, and I would say to any offender justice will catch up with you and in the sentencing on this occasion it proves that will be robust."

No comments: