Site Meter

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Quick arrest all librarians...

Quick arrest all librarians...

A 23 year old woman, who is a student, has been convicted for possessing books. Apparently, this constitutes a terrorist related offence. Namely, having articles "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".

Three days ago we celebrated November the 5th, in memory of Guy Fawkes who attempted to blow up Parliament.

I am surprised that fireworks are not deemed as having articles "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".

3 comments:

Henry North London 2.0 said...

ah yes...

But it would be a stupid government who refused to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day....

Catchthebudgie said...

I bought a can of petrol the other day and some flour. Am I to fear the MI5?

I doubt not. There is a lot of misguided talk on this matter.

The Liberals are right to ask questions and there are issues that require attention. But, is the aim to arrest anyone and everyone? We fear with DNA and being held without charge that we are next! We are not and the idea we could is a false one. We are not in danger of being taken over by terrorists, however we do have the right to protect the innocent.

I would imagine some of the families from the 7/7 attacks would not be so concerned with the issue of 56 days.

There must be a balance in all of this. Yes it is wrong for the state to have too much power. It is to what degree of power we think they have.

Just to give an idea of my liberal concerns... A lawyer on five live thought that if a person was committed of a crime and had got 20 years, was then to be placed in a cell with an ill mate which caused ill health to him, should he then have his sentence reduced?

Thats the Liberal side that worries me.

Anonymous said...

I hereby state that if chance gave me the opportunity to meet face to face with gordon braun I would take the opportunity to flick a rubber band in his eye.

Does this make me a terrorist?