Site Meter

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Labour peer Baroness Uddin claims £100,000 expenses on empty flat

Labour peer Baroness Uddin claims £100,000 expenses on empty flat



A LABOUR peer who lives in the East End of London has claimed about £100,000 in parliamentary expenses on a flat in Kent that neighbours say has been unoccupied for years.

Baroness Uddin, who worked closely with Tony and Cherie Blair, has been claiming allowances intended for peers living outside London although she resides only four miles from the Lords.

Inquiries by The Sunday Times have established that the baroness bought a two-bedroom flat in Maidstone in 2005 and has named it as her main home to claim almost £30,000 a year in accommodation expenses from the House of Lords.

Residents from the five other flats in the same block as Uddin’s property all say they have never seen her there. They could see through the windows that the bedrooms were unfurnished.


I don't care that she is the first Muslim peer. She is not setting a good example by being a thief of taxpayers money. Nothing less than repaying the full amount stolen by her will satisfy me.

Related content...

The Lords head for another PR disaster

3 comments:

mrs. uddin said...

"Vy are you bicking on me? Eye huv dun nuthing wrong. Eye huv only clemmed my allowanss azz margd down in the purlumentury gydance leavlet. Zdob bicking on me, vor vux zake or utherwise I zhall ghed my ghood vreind Keith Vaz to gum down on you werry haard....

Anonymous said...

This is obviously one of the reasons why our council taxes are so high.

jailhouselawyer said...

Mrs Uddin: If I did not know differently I would think you are very similar in thinking to RonKnee...