Site Meter

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Humberside police fail to police and respond to 999 calls

Is it just me or is there something wrong here? Last night I posted this. Tonight I go out into Pearson Park and it's the turn of older youths to get involved in a bit of disturbing the peace and breaking the law. I had just passed a gang of 6 or 8 Asian-looking youths when a missile came flying past my head and hit the tree in front of me with a audible thud. You might recall this case where the police decided to prosecute a boy of 12 for throwing a cocktail sausage at an old man. In any event, I turned and faced this group or gang, if you like, and asked who had thrown the missile. One of them grassed the culprit up so I directed my attention towards him, and asked him what he thought he was playing at? His response was to laugh and call me an old man. If 56 is old, then I am an old man. Still, it is disrespectful to launch such an attack and then when confronted about the conduct become insulting. In effect, adding insult to injury. I wouldn't walk away when he started to threaten me with violence. Instead, I dialled 999 on my mobile phone. And, they thought I was calling for some mates to come and back me up, and said that they would deal with them as well. When they realised I had called the police, they laughed and said that they won't respond. The operator started asking me questions, and I said that an old man and his dog was being attacked by some men in Pearson Park. I had to explain what city I was calling from. She asked, what did they look like? And, I repeated her question out aloud. The youths assisted me by saying "Asian looking youths", so I relayed their description of themselves to the operator. She asked for my date of birth, and address, so that they can do a Criminal Record check on me rather than responding to a 999 emergency call. Her advise was to move away from the area. That might be sound advice for my health and safety, however, it is also a cop out. A law-abiding citizen is told to move along whilst the law breakers are allowed to stay and win the situation. As I was walking away disgusted at the lack of police response to a 999 Emergency call, one of the youths shouted "You're a fucking racist!". Let me get this right, a group of immigrants or asylum seekers take it upon themselves to attack a native of this country, and when I verbally confront them that constitutes racism? If there was any racism here it was them displaying it against me, not to mention the ageism!

The problem as I see it is that because the police do not respond, and that the lawbreakers are aware that they will not respond, then it gives them the bravado or right to do whatever they like. I am thinking of suing the Chief Constable for his failure to respond appropriately to an 999 Emergency call. If they are saying that my criminal record means that I am not entitled to a police response, then I must surely be entitled to do a Charles Bronson Death Wish? If the lawbreakers are to be given free reign by the police, then policing must be the responsibility of the citizens themselves. This could lead to anarchy in the UK.

So, are the police going to police or what?




"Welcome from Tim Hollis, Chief Constable

I am confident that 2007 is going to be a good year for Humberside Police...
".

And why is that Tim?

"During 2007, as a force we are committed to a policing style which seeks to meet the desire of local people paying particular attention to:



*

Increasing public satisfaction and confidence;
*

Tackling crime, particularly criminal damage, violent crime and burglary;
*

Further developing our Neighbourhood Policing Teams;
*

Promoting community safety through closer partnership working and
*

Working jointly with other forces to provide improved protection from higher level threats of crime and terrorism.



The foundation stones to Humberside Police are to be found in our increasing network of Neighbourhood Policing Teams which, between them, cover the entire force area. They based within our four Policing Divisions based at: Beverley, Grimsby, Hull and Scunthorpe
".

Emergency Calls

Mr. Stephen O'Brien: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what the average police response time to (a) grade one emergency 999 calls and (b) other 999 calls is, broken down by region; and what steps his Department is taking to ensure the effective prioritisation of 999 calls. [158844]

Ms Blears: This information is not collected centrally. Responsibility for prioritising calls and deciding the most appropriate time to respond to 999 calls lie with the chief officer in each police force area. However, the vast majority of forces are committed to attending to calls requiring an immediate response within 10 minutes for urban areas and 20 minutes for rural areas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had cause to phone our local plod at 3 a.m. one morning, youths were setting off large, loud industrial fireworks in the middle of the road. Police response? Have a guess -


"What do you expect us to do, they'll be gone by the time we get there"


Thing is the chap was quite upset when I told him what I thought about his reply.

Anonymous said...

John,

In July I was visiting relatives near Cheltenham, and was driving into the town centre late one night. A load of youths had just got out of a taxi and were essentially playing chicken with cars, but were causing them to stop by not moving out of the way. I managed to swerve around them though. I rang the police to say what they were doing, as I had just seen them stop and car and jump all over it, and they said something would be done. I go back the same way half an hour later, and guess who are still there stopping cars and jumping all over them? But of course the police had taken my name, address etc, just in case I had been filing a false complaint or something. Because that would have been a serious issue...

jailhouselawyer said...

Ron: What gets me is that the police station in Pearson Park is closed, and the police station on Beverley Road is closed. So, even if the police did respond from the other end of town, the trouble causers would be well gone like the kids on the roof last night.

David: I've seen the same happening on Beverley Road and Anlaby Road. I am sorely tempted to just run them over...

Anonymous said...

Senior Police Officers hold public meetings to find out what we, the public, want from them. Are they really total bloody idiots? Or are they really quite clever, and provide only what it takes to please their political masters?

jailhouselawyer said...

dickiebo: I would say its six of one and half a dozen of the other.