Site Meter

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Guantanamo damages claimants win secrecy ruling

Guantanamo damages claimants win secrecy ruling

Six former Guantanamo Bay detainees have overturned a ruling that allowed government use of secret evidence to defend itself against a damages claim.

The men had been told that parts of MI5 and MI6's defence could be kept secret.

The men are suing the UK government, saying their detention by the US could have been stopped.

But on Tuesday the Court of Appeal said it would "take a stand" against secrecy that would undermine the "most fundamental principles of common law".

Corrupt Attorney General should resign

Government cannot use secret evidence in Guantánamo torture case, court rules

Government not allowed to use secret evidence to defend itself against claims by detainees it was complicit in their torture

The court of appeal has dismissed an attempt by MI5 and MI6 to suppress evidence of their alleged complicity in the torture and secret transfer of British residents to Guantánamo Bay.

In a devastating judgment, it ruled that the unprecedented attempt by the security and intelligence agencies, backed by the attorney general and senior Whitehall officials, to suppress evidence in a civil trial undermined deep-seated principles of common law and open justice.

MI5 and MI6 said evidence in the case, in which the Guardian, the Times and the BBC intervened, should be kept secret from everyone except the judges and specially appointed and vetted counsel.

And specilly appointed and vetted counsel, in this case, should be disbarred!

No comments: