Site Meter

Friday, May 16, 2008

Dambusters remembered 65 years on


Dambusters remembered 65 years on

"A service and fly-past will be held later to mark the 65th anniversary of the World War II Dambusters mission.

A Lancaster bomber will fly three times over Derwent Reservoir in Derbyshire, which was used by the original pilots to train ahead of their famous raid
".

One of my favourite war films is The Dambusters, and one of my favourite pieces of music is the Dambusters March. As a child I remember gluing together an Airfix model of a Lancaster Bomber.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes the Aifix Lancaster bomber was a must have.

Anonymous said...

I myself did that airfix model of the Lanc and glued my own fingers to the pilot and the cockpit. I also did a model of the "Scharnhorst" ( the well known Deutsch destroyer) and also succeeded in gluing parts of it to certain parts of my anatomy.

BY THE WAY the Dambusters pub was today absolutely packed out at 15.00 hrs in celebration of those brave blokes when we passed it in the village of Scampton. I wished that I had the time to stop in and salute those blokes.. Unfortunately we had a vanload of rotting fish on and we were somewhat pushed for time but tonight we are making up for it!

James Higham said...

Oh goody - I'm doing a post on this.