Site Meter

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?



They say it comes in threes. It certainly did yesterday. First, there was the incident in the park with a youth, Super Brew can in hand, and his girlfriend in tow, and his Alsation off the lead and not doing as it was told. The dog took exception to Rocky on his lead and charged at him snarling and it bowled Rocky over. I decided to let Rocky off the lead to enable him to defend himself better, unrestrained he soon got the better of the Alsation and it ran off tail between its back legs. I know I have signed a Consent Order to keep Rocky on a lead in a public place, however, as I told my barrister at court if such an occasion occured then I reserved the right to allow Rocky to defend himself. The youth was upset claiming that his dog was only playing. It was not how Rocky and I assessed the situation. The youth threatened to slit Rocky's throat...

Then last night returning from the park someone who perhaps thinks he is a gangster gives the word to his two lieutenants to confront me. Rocky held them at bay long enough for my "friend" to come to my assistance. I call him Jim Bowie for obvious reason. I was reminded of the scene in the film Crocodile Dundee when he says "That's not a knife". [Dundee draws a large Bowie knife] "That's a knife!". Rocky and I made a strategic withdrawal. I have followed the news about knife crime and the fear surrounding it, and am aware of police power to stop and search. And the issue of offensive weapons. There is also the law of self defence.

Later on there was the attack upon my house by 3 youths. I called the police who took over 20 minutes to respond in spite of my being told it was high priority, and there being two police stations within spitting distance of my house. I watched them disappear towards the little park at the back of my house on the CCTV, hooded and masked to conceal their identities. The police said they had searched the area and could not find anybody. In any event, I had called a friend who came over in his car to take me and Rocky to his house for the night for some peace and quiet. As we pulled out of the road onto the main road I saw two of the youths. I did wonder who the stranger in the car was aswell. So much for relying on the police!

Myhaven is exactly that away from the evils of the world outside. When my peace is broken like this I do wonder if I should up sticks, and start afresh somewhere else.

Update: I went to take Rocky for a walk at 2pm, and somebody must have been watching and reporting my movements as there was a minor confrontation. I was expected to hang around whilst they got organised. I didn't. But it did spur me into taking action in relation to going away somewhere safe for a few days.

14 comments:

Prison Widow Global said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles John. I have little faith in the police to start with! Well this morning I attended court with a friend to give her some moral support as she was a witness. We took a breather and went outside for a cigarette when one youth approached us for a light. He made polite conversation and told us that he couldn't wait to get to HMP Forest Bank to 'settle in!' His other 'pals' were proudly patting him on the shoulders and they didn't give a hoot. It's worth a morning in court listening to the conversations on the step! Maybe the politicians should spend a morning there too because it really is an eye opener!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you have had to put up with this awfulness. Your home may your haven but you have the right to walk about outside safely too. On the one hand I would say this sort of thing is happening all over the UK so STAY but on the other hand I think there must be somewhere better for you and Rocky so GO. Some times change is a really good thing !

louise

Ironside said...

Hi John , you were correct in letting Rocky from his leash . I have heard of times when a dog has attacked, owner held on to his dogs leash with very grave results.With regards to leaving, that is a decision only you can make. England is a very frightening place to live, full of corruption and sleaze. Would I trust a copper? not on your life.

Ironside said...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1219939/Britain-doesnt-HAVE-worst-place-live-Europe-.html

It says here John that a 1000 pound fine has been put in place for folks who do not keep their dogs on a leash in some parks.Was this the case of your attacker?.The country really has gone to the dogs...No pun intended.

jailhouselawyer said...

Added brief update.

James Higham said...

Nah, perimeter defences, John - that's all. Crossbows in position.

Ironside said...

John I will tell you a quick story that happened to me the other day. I live in the sticks and there is a long drive with elictric gates before you get to my house.I was driving through the gates to go out and was greeted with an entire family mother father and two children having a shit outside of my drive. I stopped the car to say something I was then mooned by the husband and a big row followed. He came over to me and said "I know where you live". I have some friends in the Guardia so went straight there to put an official complaint known as a Denuncia...always with my camera I had taken a photo of him ,car and number plate.
Guess what I was advised, best to drop it because if it goes to court and he has friends they will come after you..out of spite. So what I am saying John thats life no matter where you live. Here we are allowed shot guns with a licence of course. I am not a hunter but I have a gun.If you saw where I lived so would you.
Take care John and keep us all informed we all care about you, you know that.

Prison Widow Global said...

Take care John and I hope this resolves soon for you!

Anonymous said...

Difficult one John.
My gut instinct is to say go, as you are in great danger in your present environment of falling foul of the law again.

Not sure how peeps would welcome you into the sticks though. You could certainly let rocky off lead and carry a knife here without fear of police harassment but would the locals give your high profile hard times and make another hell for you?

On balance can you improve your lot where you are, if not then try another city location.

Whatever John I wish you well (and Rocky)

Anonymous said...

As for Dogs John then you were quite correct to let Rocky off his lead. Dog on Dog is usually a draw and free dog on tethered dog is certain bad news for the tethered dog.

In practice free dogs rarely seriously fight, chained dogs fight to the death.

CherryPie said...

I know all to well about the police not coming quickly when you call.

Some years ago I heard the glass being smashed on a building that was being renovated. I lived by a railway track and the building was on the opposite side of the track to me.

I phoned the local police station which was only a few doors away from the building in question. I was told I would have to dial 999.

I am sure you have guessed that by the time the police eventually arrived, it was a waste of their time because it was too late...

Barnacle Bill said...

Sorry to hear of your woes John, glad to know that you have somewhere to go for a bit of peace & quiet whilst pondering on future moves.
Whilst my own first instinct would be to say stay and don't let the buggers win.
Unfortunately it might be a better case of a tactical retreat to fight another day that is the more sensible move.
Whichever path you choose John I wish you well, and offer any support I maybe able to give.

jailhouselawyer said...

Rocky and I had a good nights sleep in a friend's caravan out in the countryside. I plan to go London tomorrow with my friend who is visiting his father, to help out the Women Against Rape centre in a project.

Anonymous said...

Here's another story.
Some kids drove a twocked car down our street and ran it into a fence. They got out, one of them waving a bottle that might have contained flammable fuel, and all started chanting "Burn, baby, burn!" A neighbour whose house was near the fence, fearing an explosion (a regular occurrence in our neck of the woods at the time), rang 999 and asked for help. The voice at the other end asked, "Can you see the car from your window?" "Yes" says neighbour. "Can you read out the number?" Neighbour did so. "Oh yes", says the voice "That's been reported stolen. We'll ring the owner and tell him to pick it up."
Case closed.