Site Meter

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Some thoughts

Some thoughts

The problem with serving a life sentence out in the community is that the quality of freedom rests with the relationship one has with the probation officer. Whereas previously they would offer a pastoral role, these days it is risk oriented and there is always the danger of my being recalled to prison. I am in the process of challenging this state of affairs in the EU. No other country operates a life licence where one is attached to an elastic band which can be yanked at any time.

I would hate to get recalled on the ground of posing a risk to people making my life a misery.

The Parole Board adopts the view if you fight it was the wrong decision, and if it is flight that also would be the wrong decision. They never say what would have been the right decision.

It is tragic the amount of people in prison who just say "Oh fuck it!". I have no intention of escaping to prison in that manner. I have tasted liberty for 5 years now and in spite of the ups and downs I now prefer it to imprisonment.

Many years ago I thought about what I would do if the going got to tough in this country.

The media goes on about foreign criminals coming to the UK.

American draft dodgers are made most welcome in Sweden. Political asylum.

Someone on life licence must get the permission of the MoJ to travel abroad. The life licence has no status outside of the UK. When I went to the ECtHR the Home Office was in a panic in case I did not come back.

This route there would be no coming back, unless the law was changed.

5 comments:

Barnacle Bill said...

I would not worry about not coming back John, with the blog you don't have to worry about borders to get your message across, find somewhere safe and put your feet up.
My ex and her partner have gone to New Zealand, I wish I could persuade my children to go, as I don't see much of a future for them or my grandson here now.

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased you removed your update John. DO NOT give these "people" any help to put you down.

I wish you well, really do. (and Rocky)

CherryPie said...

Thank you for putting this message across. I hope a lot of people read it and understand what really goes on in our criminal (in)justice service.

Ironside said...

John I left England for the same reasons .England was not as bad as it is now. I disliked the yobbish attitude the lack of respect. The abuse when going to and fro on the Ferry from Dover , watching the drunken louts and their filthy mouths. It made me ashamed to be English.So I left and found a quiet place in the country. Even so ,like I told you the other day they are everywhere, even in the depths of the country. I am happy with my choice and have never had a moments regret. You are a surviver John and if you are happy stand your ground. The only one thing I will say and this is hard to do. Someone wants to pick a fight just turn around and walk away, that is even harder but once you do it you never look back.

We are all here John and we are on your side. Just take care of yourself and that old buddy of yours Rocky.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cherry Pie. I'm glad you wrote this because it really does give an insight as to what goes on within our criminal justice system. I would like to wish you well and all the best.