Site Meter

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Barrister who defended terror suspects appointed director of public prosecutions

Barrister who defended terror suspects appointed director of public prosecutions

A human rights barrister who won a House of Lords case which resulted in terrorist control orders being declared illegal has been appointed the country's top prosecutor.

"Keir Starmer QC, who has played a key role in a number of cases against the Government, will take over when Sir Ken Macdonald steps down as director of public prosecutions at the end of October".

Some years back I recall a solicitor who defended prisoners cases, and I had a lot of respect for him. Then one day, I applied to see the then Visiting Magistrate and now Independent Monitoring Board, and was shocked to see that it was the solicitor. In my view, he had sold out. It is a shame to see that Keir Starmer has done the same. I feel that the opposition's tactic if you can't beat them get them to join you lacks being honourable. I may be too harsh a judge, in this case, time will tell.

No comments: