Site Meter

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Prisoners being sent on tree-hugging sessions in National Lottery-funded scheme


Prisoners being sent on tree-hugging sessions in National Lottery-funded scheme

Prisoners are being sent out into the grounds of their jails to hug trees as part of a Lottery-funded scheme.

The Woodland Trust is aiming to identify 100,000 ancient trees and said one of the recommended methods of predicting a tree's age was to measure it by hugging it.

Jill Butler, Conservation Policy Officer for the Woodland Trust, said because many prisons are renovated stately homes, they often had very old trees in their grounds, which makes prisoners the ideal testers
.

I think I will save this one for April Fools Day...

3 comments:

white rabbit said...

There's a book called 'A Melon for Ecstasy' about things like that..

Google it if unacquainted ;)

jailhouselawyer said...

When I was in Kirklevington Grange, for awhile I did something similar. Counting and measuring trees. I had surveyors poles and red and white tape, tapemeasure etc.

A local asked what I was doing, I replied it was intended to chop down the trees and use the land for a resettlement unit for paedophiles...

Catchthebudgie said...

and why not