Site Meter

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

English prison business yes, exploitation of prisoners no!

English prison business yes, exploitation of prisoners no!

I am not against prisoners working, but I am against them being paid less than at least the NMW, and against prisoners being exploited.

You're hired: Convicted bank robber becomes first prisoner with paid apprenticeship

I have sent the following email to Gelder & Co

Hi

As part of the pre action protocol, I am letting you know that I intend to mount a legal challenge in relation to the following:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008676/Reuben-Reynolds-Convicted-bank-robber-gets-1st-paid-apprenticeship-trainee-builder.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I am a Human Rights Defender and prisoners rights activist.

Whilst I applaud you for giving a serving prisoner this opportunity of work and going straight, I am concerned about the dangers of prisoners being exploited and this includes their not being paid at least the NMW.

Initial advice suggests seeking a declaration.

Any proposed legal action would be against yourselves, the prison Governor, and the Secretary of State for Justice.

I look forward to your response.

I will copy to the Treasury Solicitor.

Yours sincerely

John Hirst
Legal, political and media adviser to the Association of Prisoners.

No comments: