Site Meter

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Commission on English Prisons Today

Commission on English Prisons Today



It isn't immediately obvious from the Commission on English Prisons Today website that this initiative is not government commissioned, but instead is driven by the Howard League. Hence the claim to be an independent commission. Which caused me to investigate it further as I was interested in the question 'independent of whom or what?'.

The charge against the Howard League is that they are seen as part of the problem rather than the cure by serving prisoners, here and here. Only one in 20 of the commissioners is a former prisoner. Pure tokenism. There are a few names I have time for, however, there is too much dead wood on the board. It's not bark which is needed but bite.

5 comments:

CalumCarr said...

John

You make an excellent point as do the two posts you highlighted. Thanks for making me read some more and understand some more.

jailhouselawyer said...

Calum: There is a post below the Autumn leaves post by David Wilson. I don't like him (he reminds me of a Kray Twins henchman) generally and he does write a lot of shit. However, I give him credit for this piece. The problem is that everybody is aware what is wrong and how to rectify it, but they don't do anything about it. I find this very frustrating.

Anonymous said...

jailhouselawyer,

Doomed to failure .....

CalumCarr said...

JHL

I'd already read both Wilson's piece and the article below that. E aach made excellent points.

Thanks again for opening up this world to me.

2345 said...

Hand picked team of 'yes' men ?? !!