Site Meter

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Earthquake or earth tremor hits Hull

Earthquake or earth tremor hits Hull

I was just nodding off when the earth shook for me. I suddenly thought somebody had swapped my bed for one of those that vibrate. I thought the chimney was coming down. My bedhead is against the chimney breast, and this was shaking and my bed was inching forward. I've never been more scared in my whole life. It could only have lasted between 10-15 seconds at approximately 1am today.

Fuck me, I have just read that Indonesia has had 12 in 4 days.

Going back to bed. Just hoping that the house does not fall down around me.

UPDATE: I watched both the national and local news this morning. It was more widespread than I initially thought and was definitely a earthquake. The epicentre was near Market Rasen, just the other side of the Humber Bridge, and measured 5.3 on the Richter scale. I was shaken by it but otherwise unhurt.

Largest earthquake in two decades hits UK

All the areas effected are shown by blue dots.

News report below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Video.

4 comments:

eeore said...

It was pretty freaky

Anonymous said...

Thank god, I thought I was Losing it. Same here - whole house shook around 1am. There was mee checking the gas boiler and other stuff thinking the house was going to blow up !!!!

James Higham said...

I would have adored that - real apocalypse now, swallowed up by mother earth. Spooky.

jailhouselawyer said...

transfattyacid: You can say that again.

anonymous: As I had just had a coughing fit, I thought the neighbours were banging on the wall to complain...

James: It was scary. I would have loved it if I was reaching climax at the time...